qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] pcap-based networking?

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] pcap-based networking?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:15:21 -0700

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 09:42, Mike Tremoulet wrote:
> All --
>
> Apologies if this design decision has been worked before.  I've
> successfully run various *nixes on my Win2K host, and while the slirp
> solution usually works, I was thinking of ways to make it more
> flexible.

Just to clarify, TUN/TAP and user mode serve different ends.

User mode is zero-configuration, and does not require administrative
rights to set it up. The slirp code code be improved in many ways, and
the strategy has inherenent limitations, but as I said it has clear
advantages.

Any alternative for the slirp solution would have to meet the
zero-config, no admin rights test.

TUN/TAP is just a packet forwarding/tunnel solution, just like what you
are describing. It is harder to set up than user mode networking, you
need admin rights, but it is faster and certainly more flexible than
user mode. It seems to me you are describing an alternative to TUN/TAP
not user mode networing.

As far as your specific suggestions for improvement over TUN/TAP, I will
let others pick that apart.

-- John.