qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu for x86 plugins on PPC?

From: Wim Vanderbauwhede
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu for x86 plugins on PPC?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:41:38 +0100

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 15:54, Paul Brook wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 August 2004 15:40, Wim Vanderbauwhede wrote:
> > Hi qemu-guru's,
> >
> > Would it be possible to use qemu to have x86 plugins work in a PPC
> > browser? The plugins for mozilla are .so shared libraries, so I imagine
> > that it should be possible based on usermode qemu-i386.
> > A Flash-plugin for mozilla on PPC is a kind of holy grail, it would be
> > great if qemu could provide this.
>
> I don't think this is going to work.
> Shared objects (.so) are quite tightly tied into the main executable. For
> example they're likely to share memory structures, with no cleanly defined
> interface between them.  You're effectively asking qemu link together code
> compiled for two (very) different targets into a single executable.
OK, I see. Pity.

> By contrast the linux syscall layer emulated by qemu-user is clean, well
> defined, and relatively simple.
>
> However, you should be able to run x86 mozilla with x86 plugins under qemu on
> a PPC machine. I haven't tried this.
I have tried this. It used to work with qemu 0.5.5 and glibc 2.3.1. I
had firefox with flash, acrobat reader and the stand-alone flash player,
all working well. However qemu 0.6 broke most of this (only acrobat
reader still working), and upgrading to glibc2.3.1 (and probably a
higher gcc as well) just broke everything. At the moment, the only thing
that works under usermode qemu on PPC is ash.static. Even /bin/true
fails with a segmentation fault.
I would really appreicate if someone could look into this, and I guess
other PPC users would be glad too.

Thanks,

Wim

--
If it's pointless, what's the point?
If there is a point to it, what's the point?