qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Performances on Mac OS X

From: Joe Batt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Performances on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:14:54 -0500

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 05:17, Joshua Root wrote:
> Fabrice Bellard <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Don't spend your time in using another compiler than gcc : most of
> >the time is spent in the generated code, and the quality of this
> >code relies on very small functions which are too simple for being
> >optimized better.
>
> What if more than one instruction worth of C were chained together
> before being compiled? Would that make more optimisable code? Could
> this even be done at runtime? Translation time would be greatly
> increased of course, making caching even more important.

This sounds like HotSpot for qemu.  Within qemu, how much work would it
take to retranslate after profiling execution, like HotSpot server
does?  I've looked a bit, but I get lost  in all the macros.  Where
would someone start looking to understand the translation process?

Where would one look to start on SMP support both for the guest and the
host?

Joe