qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Inquiry, speed comparison on OS X, QEMU vs Virual PC

From: Fred Hope
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Inquiry, speed comparison on OS X, QEMU vs Virual PC
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:41:25 -0700 (PDT)

 >> I think that including support for the PowerPC swapping instructions
in QEMU
 >> will break compatibility with host PowerPCs before G3, so that
instructions
 >> should be used in a run-time capability detection scheme.

 >It also dosen't work on the 970 (G5) - one of my friends has been
 >waiting for QEMU for OS X for that reason ;)

About breaking support for PowerPCs before G3, I wouldn't think that
matters, since OS X only runs on G3 and later unless you use a special
hack or something.

But if it doesn't work on the G5, then yeah hopefully it can be
controlled at runtime and still let G3/G4 users have this stuff.

Anyone care to explain to me what this stuff we're talking about
actually does?  :) Sorry but I dunno much about processor instructions
and stuff.  I assume it would make QEMU faster...would it make any
substantial difference, or add any other features?

Fred Hope