[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Hetz Ben Hamo
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 14:49:54 +0300
Mozilla Thunderbird 0.7 (X11/20040615)
There is already a plugin system. It requires you to recompile everytime
you add a new piece of hardware, though. I don't think this is a problem
as most likely you will have to recompile anyway to make sure the plugin
uses the same header files as qemu's core.
Yes, but this plugin method is not very usefull for 3rd party plugins..
Many people don't realize one thing about QEMU which differs it from ANY
other emulator: For the first time, you can create a "hardware card",
write drivers for it and test it on guest OS's (Windows, Linux, *BSD,
etc) and test it on other platforms (PPC, Sparc, ARM, once their core is
Think about it: You can create a new PCI card without buying those all
expensive software to simulate it, write drivers to test it and if it
works well for your customer(s), you can do the real PCI card! Go try
that with VMWare (you can't), BOCHS (good luck hacking their code, and
see the speed difference), and I'm not even mentioning PPC, ARM or Sparc...
With a plugin system (all it takes is 2 files: an text/XML file which
contains the info on this plugin, and a .so file which is the plugin
itself) both closed source and open source developers can add lots of
hardware to QEMU which can be used for driver development on Linux and
on Windows (as well other guest OS's) without having the real hardware.
Have you ever thought to write driver for Linux for some hardware (which
someone can writes a plugin) without having it? now you (potentially) can..
Just my thoughts...
[Qemu-devel] Re: RFC for new features, Emmanuel Charpentier, 2004/07/09
- Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features (Console under Windows), (continued)
- Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features, Karel Gardas, 2004/07/08
- Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features, Jean-Michel POURE, 2004/07/08
- Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features, Brad Watson, 2004/07/08
- Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC for new features, Jan Dittmer, 2004/07/08
- [Qemu-devel] (Before) RFC for new features, Hetz Ben Hamo, 2004/07/08
- Re: [Qemu-devel] plugins, Gianni Tedesco, 2004/07/09