qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Storing code caching

From: Martin Williams
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Storing code caching
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:26:00 +0100

Has anyone thought about trying to store the code caching on disk?
I am thinking of one file which contains the blocks of code that qemu compiles at run time, and another which has locations (within the file? locations from the base of where the application is launched in memory, not sure which would work best) of where these blocks start from. Qemu would then look for a .codecache at launch, then look inside the location list file when it wants a code block, then load it from the other file (obviously both files would be held in RAM).

Obviously this would be most effective if the .codecache files were generated in advance rather than saved retrospectively as qemu runs.

I would be willing to start writing a tool to generate the codecache files, however I was wondering what the developers think on the subject, and whether it is possible with qemu's current architechure etc, and whether the current qemu core is adaptable to generate the blocks the utility to save, etc.

Any thoughts, criticisms, suggestions, etc (including if I am beating down the wrong track and this is actually impossible) - just a thought to try and speed execution up in User Mode.

Martin