qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] BIOS checksums?

From: Piotr Krysik
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] BIOS checksums?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 07:29:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Are you talking about using proprietary closed-source BIOS-es of real PC? They are usually very hardware-depended.

In fact I started a project to use QEMU to monitor interactions between guest OS and real hardware (similar to "PCI Host/Proxy" by Gianni Tedesco, but not limited to PCI hardware). At this point I have prof of concept prototype that successfully boots proprietary BIOS of my PC up to the point of testing the RAM.

Regards,

Piotrek

Hetz Ben Hamo <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Since Fabrice opened the possibility to replace BIOSes, I decided to
play a bit with few of them on QEMU.

All of them seems to return one problem - Checksum error. I tried some
Phoenix BIOSes, Award, MR. Bios - all with the same problem (some just
giving a ROM checksum error messages, other simply doesn't show anything)

All the BIOSes I tried are from the boards who supported pentium pro..

Have anyone had better luck? I'll be happy to provide links to some
BIOSes (all from their vendors)

Thanks,
Hetz