qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Found helpful link on mounting loopback files

From: Jason Gress
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Found helpful link on mounting loopback files
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:25:27 -0500

I was trying to figure out how to mount just the partition inside of a raw
image as loopback, and I found this:

http://www.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/linux_loopback.shtml

That link was very useful, and I thought the list might like a copy.  :)  With
a typically DD'd zero image, this is the resulting command needed to mount
the first partition on a simple image:

# mount -t vfat -o loop,offset=32256,umask=000 /windata/win2kpci.img /mnt/tmp/

Or, at least that worked for me.  (The umask=000 simply allows everyone access
so my user could read/write stuff w/o hassle.)

I hope this helps someone!  An abbreviated version of this information perhaps
should be on a FAQ somewhere?

        Jason