qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OS/2 and Latest CVS QEMU

From: Antony T Curtis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OS/2 and Latest CVS QEMU
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:11:22 +0100

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 21:33, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Antony T Curtis wrote:
> > Cool - OS/2 Warp Connect actually installs and runs (blue-spine box,
> > cdrom version)... however, the OS/2 CL-GD5446 video drivers don't seem
> > to recognise the chipset and will not install :|
>
> Are you sure there is a 5446 driver in OS/2 ? I only saw 5436.

Downloaded it from
http://www.embeddedsoftwaregroup.com/cirruslogic/graphics/desktop/5446/

Unzipped it to a floppy disk image.

> > The generic PCI RTL8029 network driver doesn't seem to work either - and
> > prevents OS/2 from starting up.
>
> You should activate NE2000 traces and record the standard output.

Ok... I shall give it a go sometime soon... I downloaded that driver
from hobbes.nmsu.edu

> > OS/2 is running at a good speed - feels pretty fast.. WinOS/2 works too
> > - Booting a real DOS under OS/2's VM window seems to max-out QEMU and it
> > becomes unresponsive... It only gets as far as showing "Starting PC
> > DOS..." before it locks up. (booting IBM PC-DOS 7 under OS/2 Warp
> > Connect, no fixpacks). Only a 'kill -9' successfully killed the process.
>
> Maybe it is using the VME extension (QEMU does not implement it, but
> maybe OS/2 ignores the CPUID settings).

Maybe... OS/2's VDM was pretty advanced for it's era... IBM even demoed
OS/2 running Windows95 in a window back in 1996.... months before it was
axed. (the hacks IBMers did to the Windows95 binaries to make it work
never were released)

--
Antony T Curtis <address@hidden>