qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP status

From: Grzegorz Kulewski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP status
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:21:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems that few people had succsess stories while installing XP while
> other had various crashes (in guest OS)...

I succesfully installed Windows XP Pro PL (without SP1 I think but I must
check that to be sure) from my university (free for students for edu
uses) before -pci and -cirrusvga options were introduced. It was some CVS
version after 0.5.5 I think. Win was working stable and I had run some
programs on it.

After -pci and -cirrusvga options have been introduced I tried second time
(fresh install). And QEMU got SIGSEGV in the later part of installation
(after two reebots and after entering settings if I remember). I do not
know where excacly the crash happened because I was far away from
computer. But it was not some OOM killer or something like that. And my
hardware is rock stable. It was probably 2.6.6-mm4 kernel without any
closed source modules (stable for me). I posted all info I have about this
try to the list.

I do not know how to debug such problems (I never used gdb and currently
have not time to read the whole manual - if some good manual exists). So I
can try again I somebody will tell me what should I type in order to get
some usefull stack trace.

Thanks,

Grzegorz Kulewski