qemu-devel

Re: Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VGA BIOS source code

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VGA BIOS source code
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:09:01 -0700

I'm not a lawyer, and anyone who worries about such things should talk
to one, but as far as reference docs go:

If they haven't patented some trickiness in their interface, and you
haven't signed an NDA, and it's not a trade secret (it ain't if the
document is freely downloadable) then there is probably very little to
worry about other than upsetting them enough to stop giving out info in
the future (which would be bad in the bigger picture for Linux). But I
don't see how software emulation of their chip is going to impact their
hardware sales in any obvious way.

Copyright infringement is the only thing one would really have to worry
about, and unless you are redistributing the document I'm not sure how
that would come into play.

-- John.