qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeBSD status

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeBSD status
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 00:34:36 +0200

Juergen Lock wrote:
As mentioned on irc I was having some success with FreeBSD:

 4.10RC3 install cd: boots, but kernel doesnt see any disks
(error message when trying to partition, -hda with empty image)

 5.2.1 install cd and boot.flp: boot now with the fixes in cvs,
but panic when trying to write to disk (same empty image).
to repeat: at the mountroot prompt type:
        ufs:md0
then in sysinstall select custom install, partition, `c',
enter slice (partition) size, hit `w' to write immediately,
confirm, select mbr -> panic writing to disk

I found the problem : it seems that FreeBSD expects the IDE READY status bit just after the IDE WRITE command. It is weird as it is not mentionned in the IDE specs. I would like to be sure it is a standard IDE behaviour.

 I also get: npx0: WARNING: no FPU! from the kernel (kernel
messages can be viewed with scroll-lock and then page-up/down,
cursur-up/down), Fabrice says that the FPU error comes from the fact
that FreeBSD uses FPU interrupts to test the FPU exception reporting.

I made a fix (not commited yet).

 Fabrice also said the FreeBSD host patches are not in yet,
is that just lack of time or do they have some problems?

Still no time.

 Also, would it help if i try to make a debug version of the 5.2.1
GENERIC kernel to see where the panic is?  It is always trying to
read from 0x2c, supervisor read, page not present. (I guess a NULL
pointer to a struct, unfortunately i won't be able to take crashdumps
and get a full backtrace as that requires writing to disk...)

Fabrice.