qemu-devel

Solaris 9 x86 status [was: Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris 10 x86: status]

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Solaris 9 x86 status [was: Re: [Qemu-devel] Solaris 10 x86: status]
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:52:29 +0200 (CEST)

I can confirm the same with Solaris 9 x86 installation.

On Thu, 20 May 2004, [iso-8859-2] Pavel Jan?k wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the first phase of Solaris 10 x86 install went through with current CVS and
> this command line:
>
> /tmp/QEMU/bin/qemu -pci -boot d -cdrom
> Solaris-10-x86/sol-10-install-b54-x86.iso -hda hda.img -m 512
>
> After the first phase is finished and computer is rebooted -> qemu stopped,

Yes, although it takes quite long time on my machine, but during breakfest
Qemu really stoped. (at the first I've thought it just crashed ;-)

> I run the second phase with:
>
> /tmp/QEMU/bin/qemu -pci -boot c -hda hda.img -m 512

I used the same as for installation, but just change boot device to `c':

/opt/qemu-x86/bin/qemu -pci -hda ./solaris9.img -cdrom
./sol-9-u6-install-x86.iso -m 256 -boot c

> The installation is now stalled with X server in QEMU running, I can open
> Terminal/Console but the installation program is not running :-(

Yes, the same, X server with gray background and nothing on the desktop. I
have not tried to right/lef click on desktop, so haven't tested opening of
xterm...

> Also QEMU allocates approx. 1MB/2seconds.

No here! I've used -m 256 and qemu very stable use about 281MB virtual and
about 205MB RSS.

> After rebooting the machine, there is no partition available for boot.

Exactly ``Bad PGR sig'' white charracters on red background, printed at
the botom of the first qemu booting screen (Plex/Bochs BIOS booting...)

> It seems to have problems with RTC, because the already mentioned message
> "No RTC date!?" appears sometimes and it also finished 5 seconds wait
> before boot in about 1 second ;-)

Where it appear? In your opened console? I haven't seen such message with
Sol9.

> I'm now trying the same with Solaris 9 x86 and will report it back soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Thanks,

Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden