qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mounting windows partition

From: Tim
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mounting windows partition
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 13:25:40 -0700

Linux does not have good support for loopback partition table reading.
You can mount a file as a partition, but not convince the kernel to read
a partition table off of a file.

There was a patch to the loopback driver available for 2.4.x, but I
don't think it is being maintained.  I think some guys from NASA wrote
it, and they made it very hard to use on any distro other than redhate.
It also required a patch to losetup, that didn't work for me, so it was
buggy even when I used it.  (If anyone has info on an
improved/maintained patch for this, I would love to know.  It would be
very nice to have this for the forensics work that I do.)

The only other work around that I know of, is to run losetup with the -o
option.  Basically, skip over the first track of the "disk" until you
reach the parition's superblock/header.  You need to know the exact
offset for this, of course.  fdisk -l will probably help you figure that
out.

Once you have your loopback device created, you can mount it like a
partition.

tim