qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Sucessfully installed Windows XP in qemu.

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Sucessfully installed Windows XP in qemu.
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 10:10:33 -0400

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 09:22:27PM +1000, Nathan Hand wrote:

> > I have installed XP without any kind of problem but when I try
> > to do my first login as administrator I get:
> >
> > A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for
> > this computer. Error Code: 0x800703e6.
> >
> > Do you know what's that and how to find a workaround?
> >
> > XP works perfectly when booting XP in safe mode, but I have no way to
> > run it in normal mode.
>
> I'm seeing the same error message. Some people have booted XP without
> this error so it might be due to different settings. How about an
> informal poll to find the common settings that lead to this problem?
>
> The 0x800703e6 also occurs in Safe Mode With Networking although it
> boots in Safe Mode, as you say. I'm using TUN networking.

I've heard that if you update the hardware for an already-installed XP, it
needs to be re-activated. I.e. If you install XP w/ no networking, and then
enable tuntap networking, you might have to reactivate it. I hope this is not
true, but if it is that might explain your problem.

On a side note, Windows (not just XP mind you, iirc this started with Win98)
creates a identification number unique to the installation. If you have a
network card, the id number would be generated from the MAC. If you didn't, then
the number was randomly generated. I'm not sure if thats how things still work
(I haven't looked at Windows in a long time).