qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Os ZOO: images will be available. Questions...

From: Kyle Hayes
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Os ZOO: images will be available. Questions...
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:30:29 -0700

On Thursday 29 April 2004 05:05, Stefano Marinelli wrote:
> Hi there. So I asked and all the image (free oses, of course) will
> be available for download. They will be put on ftp on the
> department's machines. Windows will be restricted to local users
> but the several BSDs and Linux will be available for anybody. The
> matter now is...I will create images for local users, so something
> like 1GB images. But it could be difficult to download 1GB images
> from another place (non-local). How could I solve? growing file
> systems?

bzip2?  It will compress things very well.  Even a relatively large
image will compress by a large factor.  Most of each image will be
either empty disk space (huge compression factor), or things like
binaries (about a 2x compresion factor).

Use the "best" compression method (-9) to get the largest compression
factor.

Best,
Kyle