qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault running i386 Linux binary

From: Chris Emerson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Segmentation fault running i386 Linux binary
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 16:33:34 +0100

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 02:18:35PM +0100, Chris Emerson wrote:
> I'm getting a crash running "zayit", a Linux/i386 ELF binary which comes
> with Sun's Wireless Toolkit on my PowerPC Linux box, using qemu 0.5.3
> and also CVS updated this morning.  The source to this binary doesn't
> seem to be available.  It crashes quite early, before it gets as far as
> complaining about bad arguments.

I've poked around a bit more.  qemu-i386 running on an i386 host[1]
seems to be fine, so that would point to a ppc-specific problem.  The
address causing the fault is within the 32MB originally mmap()ed for the
ELF interpreter, but never used (so it's still PROT_NONE).

In case it's relevant, this is with GNU libc 2.2.5 (identical library
and ELF interpreter on the PPC and i386 hosts).

[1] with USE_CODE_COPY disabled, as otherwise gcc-3.0 complains at
assembler arguments

[snip]

Chris