qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Windows 2000 installed without a problem

From: Mike Nordell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Windows 2000 installed without a problem
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:56:21 +0200

Using "almost" CVS QEMU on Win32, installing NT5sp4 from a CD image, with
"only" 64 MB of memory given to the guest, but disabling both NE2k and SB16
by means of setting nb_nics=0 before the "nb_nics1 = nb_nics;" at the end of
pc_init() in pc.c, and disabling the calls to AUD_init() and SB16_init(),
I've managed to install NT5sp4 (a "slipstreamed" to sp4 image) without too
much problems.

What I believe is worth noting is that I haven't seen a single gfx "glitch".
DTC and failed to install, and some COM component failed to register, but
that might be due to lack of a NIC (combined with another missing piece in
the emulation, that MS' GUID generation uses in absence of a NIC), but
besides that everything else seemingly worked like a charm.

I therefore can with some certainty say that either the SB16 or the NE2k
code (with the patch from Renzo applied) is a source of bugs - it probably
overwrites memory it doesn't own. As the SB16 code has already read memory
it didn't own, that'd be my first suspect.

Could someone else that's been experiencing spurious guest-crashes, or
installation failures, try to do the same - disable NE2k, OSS and SB16 as I
outlined, and report failure or success? Both Windows and GNU/Linux hosts
would probably be preferred.

/Mike