qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU >= 0.5.3 still broken?

From: Herbert Poetzl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: QEMU >= 0.5.3 still broken?
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 23:25:43 +0200

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 11:18:49PM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >Hi Fabrice!
> >
> >did a checkout of qemu a few minutes ago (from CVS)
> >but qemu-fast and qemu (softmmu) is still broken for
> >me ...
> >
> >any plans to fix this, anything I could do to help?
> >
> >just for the case you do not remember, ide hard disk
> >emulation doesn't work for 2.6.x anymore (partitions
> >and second hard disk are not recognized)
> >
> >qemu 0.5.2 work without any issues, 0.5.3 and latest
> >CVS fails ...
>
> It is not an IDE problem: it is just that my new method to launch the
> kernel with '-kernel' in 0.5.3 does not preserve the partition table. I
> will try a fix (I did not see this problem because in my Linux tests I
> don't use hard disk partitions!).

hmm, interesting ... and why isn't hdb recognized at all?

> The TSC problem you have seem to be linked to the 1000 Hz timer of the
> 2.6 kernel. You must change HZ to 100 in asm/param.h. I'll make a patch
> for that soon in QEMU, but the emulation will be less efficient for 1000
> Hz clock as polling or /dev/rtc will be used on the host.

hmm, I'm using this adapted version of the qemu patch
(well I had to update it around 2.6.4 and I removed the
ugly and unnecessary fix, for the option parsing)

http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/QEMU/qemu-enable-2.6.xV.diff

and this should set the HZ value to 100 for QEMU
enabled kernels, so I'm not convinced here ...

best,
Herbert