qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu workstation

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu workstation
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 08:34:38 +0400

Filip Navara wrote:
Brad Campbell wrote:

I guess if QEMU emulates the hlt instruction and the OS supports it then it's pretty easy. I note above it said running linux, which does idle nicely when the hlt instruction is present, perhaps there is a not too difficult way for intelligent OS's. DOS is a lost cause however.

To clarify it, it's not 'HLT' instruction (Halt processor), but the 'NOP' instruction (No operation).

How does that work then?
I have some code that uses a NOP loop for accurate timing? That spins at 100% cpu usage, how does a NOP tell the processor to idle? HLT does.

Brad