qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Console Input Question

From: Bruce Ashfield
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Console Input Question
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:36:27 -0400

Hi all,

I'm playing around trying to evaluate qemu to see if it can be used in a
development environment that I'm putting together and also looking at it
out of interest. I enjoy playing with emulators and in the past I've hacked
extensively with Bochs, psim, vpcu and most recently user mode linux. So
hopefully I can contribute in the future to qemu.

In order to get my evaluation up and running quickly I'm using a two day
old CVS checkout and the slackware image I've been booting under UML.  It's
a slightly modified version of one of the "standard" images
(http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/user-mode-linux/root_fs_slack8.1.bz2). I've
mounted the image on the loopback device and changed the mtab and anything
else that might not apply in qemu. I should also mention that I'm using the
2.4 kernel that's in the qemu linux-test package.

Everything seemed to go well at first, I watch it boot up, check the disk,
start the 'net services, etc, but once all of the rc.M services have been
started and it is supposed to go fully into multi-user mode I never see the
login prompt. qemu is still alive, I can interact with it query state and
other good things. I just can't get console input to work. I'm using the
same console line as the linux-test, i.e.:

qemu -m 256 -hda root_fs_slack8.1 -kernel bzImage-2.4.21 -append
     "root=/dev/hda ide2=noprobe ide3=noprobe ide4=noprobe ide5=noprobe"

graphic and nographic mode don't seem to make a difference.

I've been messing around with this for a few days and I'm now feeling quite
stupid, seems kind of basic and especially since I didn't see any similar
posts in the mailing list archives.

Anyone have a quick tip, or a slap upside the head that they wouldn't mind
sending my way ? :)

Cheers,

Bruce

--

Bruce Ashfield | "Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for
address@hidden | chaos and madness await thee at its end."