qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Code Copy / New Linux boot code

From: Derrik Pates
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Code Copy / New Linux boot code
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 16:24:58 -0500

Michael Torrie wrote:
Precisely.  We're not talking about emulation at all here.  In fact,
what I was proposing is really outside the scope of qemu entirely, and
could be implemented with a real windows box running on some remote
machine.  All I was saying is that should such a driver system exist,
then combining that with qemu and a real copy of Windows XP would allow
a nice "rootless" environment where your real windows xp windows (MS
Word, etc) could appear on your X11 desktop.  I've been after Win4Lin
(www.netraverse.com) to implement something like this for years, but
they also seem to be mystified as to what I'm talking about.

I know exactly what you're talking about - like MacOS 9 apps on OS X, where the classic MacOS apps and OS X apps run in their own windows, rather than in a "virtual display". I've thought about doing this with Mac-on-Linux, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the internals of QuickDraw and writing a MacOS display driver to make it work.

--
Derrik Pates
address@hidden