qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] windows?

From: Mark IJbema
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] windows?
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:49:39 +0100

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:21:20AM +0100, Renzo Davoli wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 10:09:41AM +0100, Mark IJbema wrote:
> > Well, the application i had in mind was using it for reactos, in the
> > same way bochs is used now. Because on linux, qemu runs much faster than
> > bochs, and when it's bugfree (or at least not notably bugged), it would
> > be a viable alternative to vmware (even though it's still a lot slower
> > than vmware).
> >
> Even a lot safer (runs at user level, no kernel modules)
> Even a lot general (runs already on four hardware architectures and this
> number is the low boundary of what is going to be implemented in the
> future).

While this is true, i personally don't care, i only have x86 hardware
(though i should get some other hardware ;) )

> It is not only an alternative to vmware, but also to VirtualPC and many
> other virtual machine solution.
> But it is also a general framework for running single executables for
> the wrong architecture.

Yup, this could indeed be interesting for OS-es intended to run on
various hardware platforms, but for which most apps are released x86
only (WinNT / ReactOS).

> P.S. the real solution would be to convince everybody to leave
> proprietary sw and formats, including flash. It needs time, though....

Isn't flash open? I thought they released some sort of open Flash-XML
format...

Mark