qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC emulation on Qemu

From: Jocelyn Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PPC emulation on Qemu
Date: 18 Feb 2004 14:20:11 +0100

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 11:35, J. Fortmann wrote:
> I'm
> > >
> > > It could. All depends on which HW you emulate.
> >
> > Yes, I'd like qemu to be able to emulate the largest combination of
> > hw... I don't really know if I will ever try to emulate Amiga, but as
> > the main use of PPC is embedded hardwares, it sounds good to have an
> > easily "hw" tunable emulator...
> >

> Regarding emulation of all PPC systems:
> Would it be possible to switch the system to little endian mode inside the
> qemu process? That way, one could run Windows NT, which I always wanted
> to try (but couldn't, because I don't have the necessary hardware).
>
> This could also (with a slightly different approach) bring better speeds for
> i386 computations.

In theory, we could do that.
But it needs deep kernel patch as I think Linux never uses little-endian
pages on PPC. Maybe with a kind a mmap flag ? :-)
But, I don't think you can control endian mode for each page,
but only for 128 Mb large areas...

> > I just rsync'ed the latest mol, and it appears to me that openbios isn't
> > inside. It seems that it's only available through proprietary bk
> > software...
> > Is there a way to get it using a standard open mechanism (ie rsync or
> > CVS ?). It would be glad, as I cannot and never want to use any
> > proprietary software on my linux boxes...
> >

> I had to bite the bullet a month ago and install Bitkeeper (precisely for
> MOL),
> and I can't say I like it. It's really sad that there seems no other way to
> get
> up-to-date MOL sources.

Well, you can get MOL sources via rsync, but not their openbios
repository. You can get the "official" openbios via cvs, but there is no
support for PPC...

--
Jocelyn Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized