qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Misc patches for qemu

From: Jocelyn Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Misc patches for qemu
Date: 27 Jun 2003 15:55:22 +0200

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 10:18, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > > When can we expect the PPC target?
> >
> > Well I hope in a few days, maybe next week:
> > I got all basic arithmetic and logical opcodes OK,
> > getting no differences between a real PPC and qemu.
> > But "real" programs like bash still crash after
> > a few thousands of instructions...
> >
> > .../...
>
> It would be interesting to work out a way to use the PPC emulation
> to get the MacOnLinux virtual machine to run on non-PPC hardware :)
>
> That would allow basically to run MacOS 9 and X on any machine...
>
> I know Samuel already did some endian-fixing work for this and
> is currently mostly lacking the actual CPU emulation.
>
> Ben.

Well, that's quite what I'm trying to do.

For now, the only program I can launch is a program I do
that executes a lot of different instructions and dump the processor state
before and after the execution, doing this with a lot of different operands.
I can do this natively on PPC, in a emulated PPC on my Ibook and also on my PC.

The goal for me is to be able to launch PPC programs including MacOS/MOL on a
PC.
I would also like to launch OS-X processes under ix86 Linux, without the need
of the X kernel... A little help from inside the Linux kernel is needed,
but it seems that it can be done (I didn't say easily !).
I already have a few (native) BSD processes running under Linux using 2.4.20/21
kernels.

I'm curious to see the patches you talk about and try them to see if I can
execute more programs...
But I noticed that the stack prepared by the Elf loader is really far from the
one
from a regular Linux kernel. I saw strange issues in this code,
and I'll try to fix some things during the next week-end...

--
Jocelyn Mayer <address@hidden>