Re: Zoned storage support in libvirt

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: Zoned storage support in libvirt
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 12:53:22 +0000

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 09:30:40PM +0900, Damien Le Moal wrote:
> On 1/30/23 21:21, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:

> >> Yes. There is a VIRTIO feature bit, some configuration space fields,
> >> etc. virtio-blk-pci detects when the blockdev is zoned and enables the
> >> feature bit.
> >
> > I get a general sense of unease when frontend device ABI sensitive
> > features  get secretly toggled based on features exposed by the
> > backend.
> >
> > When trying to validate ABI compatibility of guest configs, libvirt
> > would generally compare frontend properties to look for differences.
> >
> > There are a small set of cases where backends affect frontend
> > features, but it is not that common to see.
> >
> > Consider what happens if we have a guest running no zoned storage,
> > and we need to evacuate the host to a machine without zoned
> > storage available. Could we replace the stroage backend on the
> > target host with a raw/qcow2  backend but keep pretending it is
> > zoned storage to the guest. The guest would continue making its
> > I/O ops be batched for the zoned storage, which would be redundant
> > for raw/qcow2, but presumbly should still work.  If this is possible
> > it would suggest the need to have explicit settings for zoned storage
> > on the virtio-blk frontend.  QEMU would "merely"  validate that these
> > settings are turned on, if the host storage is zoned too.

> >> Pointing host_device at a zoned device doesn't result in useful behavior
> >> because the guest is unaware that this is a zoned device. The guest
> >> won't be able to access the device correctly (i.e. sequential writes
> >> only). Write requests will fail eventually.
> >>
> >> I would consider zoned devices totally unsupported in QEMU today and we
> >> don't need to worry about preserving any kind of backwards compatibility
> >> with --blockdev host_device,filename=/dev/my_zoned_device.
> >
> > So I guess I'm not so worried about host_device vs zoned_host_device,
> > if we have explicit settings for controlled zoned behaviour on the
> > virtio-blk frontend.
> >
> > I feel like we should have something explicit somewhere though, as this
> > is a pretty significant difference in the storage stack, that I think
> > mgmt apps should be aware of, as it has implications for how you manage
> > the VMs on an ongoing basis.
> >
> > We could still have it "do what I mean" by default though. eg the
> > virtio-blk setting defaults could imply "match the host", so we get
> > effectively a tri-state  (zoned=on/off/auto)
>
> What would zoned=on mean ? If the backend is not zoned, virtio will expose a
> regular block device to the guest as it should.

Sorry, I should have expanded further, I didn't mean that alone. It would
also need to expose the related settings of the virtio-blk device:

> +        virtio_stl_p(vdev, &blkcfg.zoned.zone_sectors,
> +                     bs->bl.zone_size / 512);
> +        virtio_stl_p(vdev, &blkcfg.zoned.max_active_zones,
> +                     bs->bl.max_active_zones);
> +        virtio_stl_p(vdev, &blkcfg.zoned.max_open_zones,
> +                     bs->bl.max_open_zones);
> +        virtio_stl_p(vdev, &blkcfg.zoned.write_granularity, blk_size);
> +        virtio_stl_p(vdev, &blkcfg.zoned.max_append_sectors,
> +                     bs->bl.max_append_sectors);

so eg

   -device
virtio-blk,zoned=on,zone_sectors=NN,max_active_zones=NN,max_open_zones=NN....

So the guest would be honouring thuese zone constraints, even though they
are not required by a raw/qcow2 file.

in this world

 -device virtio-blk,zoned=on

would be a short hand to say get the rest of the tunables from the backend
device or error, if the backend doesn't support them.

 -device virtio-blk,zoned=auto

would be a short hand to say "do the right thing" regardless of whether the
backend is zoned or non-zoned.

> For zoned=auto, same, I am not sure what that would achieve. If the backend is
> zoned, it will be seen as zoned by the guest. If the backend is a regular
> disk,
> it will be exposed as a regular disk. So what would this option achieve ?
>
> And for zoned=off, I guess you would want to ignore a backend drive if it is
> zoned ?

It would explicitly report an error, since IIUC from Stefan's reply, this
scenario would eventually end in I/O failures.

With regards,
Daniel