Re: [PULL 00/11] Block layer patches

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/11] Block layer patches
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 18:58:53 -0500

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 5:56 AM Kevin Wolf <kwolf@redhat.com> wrote:

> Am 11.11.2022 um 20:20 hat Stefan Hajnoczi geschrieben:
> > > Hanna Reitz (9):
> > >       block/mirror: Do not wait for active writes
> > >       block/mirror: Drop mirror_wait_for_any_operation()
> > >       block/mirror: Fix NULL s->job in active writes
> > >       iotests/151: Test that active mirror progresses
> > >       iotests/151: Test active requests on mirror start
> > >       block: Make bdrv_child_get_parent_aio_context I/O
> > >       block-backend: Update ctx immediately after root
> > >       block: Start/end drain on correct AioContext
> > >       tests/stream-under-throttle: New test
> >
> > Hi Hanna,
> > This test is broken, probably due to the minimum Python version:
> > https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/jobs/3311521303
>
> This is exactly the problem I saw with running linters in a gating CI,
> but not during 'make check'. And of course, we're hitting it during the
> -rc phase now. :-(

I mean. I'd love to have it run in make check too. The alternative was
never seeing this *anywhere* ...

...but I'm sorry it's taken me so long to figure out how to get this
stuff to work in "make check" and also from manual iotests runs
without adding any kind of setup that you have to manage. It's just
fiddly, sorry :(

> But yes, it seems that asyncio.TimeoutError should be used instead of
> asyncio.exceptions.TimeoutError, and Python 3.6 has only the former.
> I'll fix this up and send a v2 if it fixes check-python-pipenv.

Hopefully this goes away when we drop 3.6. I want to, but I recall
there was some question about some platforms that don't support 3.7+
"by default" and how annoying that was or wasn't. We're almost a year
out from 3.6 being EOL, so maybe after this release it's worth a crack
to see how painful it is to move on.