Re: Poking around bdrv_is_inserted()

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: Poking around bdrv_is_inserted()
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 16:36:02 +0100

Am 09.11.2021 um 16:20 hat Markus Armbruster geschrieben:
> Kevin Wolf <kwolf@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Am 09.11.2021 um 07:44 hat Markus Armbruster geschrieben:
> >> Screwed up qemu-devel@nongnu.org, sorry for the inconvenience.

> > Not really any more. "No medium" is blk->root == NULL.
>
> Uh, blk_is_inserted() does *not* check blk->root:
>
>     bool blk_is_inserted(BlockBackend *blk)
>     {
>         BlockDriverState *bs = blk_bs(blk);
>
>         return bs && bdrv_is_inserted(bs);
>     }
>
> Now I'm confused.

It does. blk_bs(blk) returns NULL for blk->root == NULL.

> >                                                        These days
> > bs->drv == NULL basically means "the backend is broken". This happens
> > after qcow2_signal_corruption(), and I'm not sure if we have more
> > circumstances like it.
>
> I'm not sure having bdrv_is_inserted() return true for "broken"
> backends makes sense.

I wonder if bdrv_is_inserted() makes sense at all (why not just do
whatever you were planning to do if it returns true, and handle the
error?).

But anyway, it returns false for broken backends.

Callers might commonly not be interested in "is a medium inserted?", but
more in "can I access the medium?". In this case, returning false
provides the right answer.

> > Sounds like we should write a test case and then fix it.

> > I guess we could philosophise about the theoretically right thing to do,
> > but last time I checked, host_cdrom didn't support snapshots, so it
> > probably doesn't matter either way.
>
> We could also philosophize about "any of its children has no medium".
> As far as I know, nothing stops me from using a host_cdrom as a backing
> file for a QCOW2, and that I *can* snapshot.

I'm surprised to learn that host_device actually implements
.bdrv_co_pwritev.

So yes, I suppose if you have a qcow2 formatted CD with a snapshot in
it, and you insert it into your physical drive and somehow convince the
kernel to let us open it read-write, and then you eject the CD while the
guest is running and try to delete the snapshot, then you might get the
wrong error message.

I think this is still deep in "then don't do that" territory, but if you
feel like slapping a bdrv_is_inserted() on it, feel free.

> Functions (and methods) bdrv_is_inserted(), bdrv_eject(), and
> bdrv_lock_medium() are related.  block_int.h groups them under
> /* removable device specific */, and block.c under /* removable device
> support */.  But only bdrv_is_inserted() recurses into children.  Is
> this how it should be?

We don't actually have checks to prevent it, but I doubt you can build
anything meaningful with the combination of removable media and non-raw
drivers.

I know qcow2 will be horribly confused if you swap out the file under
its feet. If you must, you can change bs->file (even without host_cdrom,
blockdev-reopen should be enough). If it breaks, you get to keep the
pieces.

So it probably only makes a difference in a case that can't work anyway.

Kevin