Re: [PULL 00/10] Block Jobs patches

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [PULL 00/10] Block Jobs patches
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 16:26:49 -0500

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 07:19:47PM +0300, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy wrote:
> 28.06.2021 19:09, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 at 14:00, Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy
> > <vsementsov@virtuozzo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > The following changes since commit
> > > e0da9171e02f4534124b9a9e07333382b38376c6:
> > >
> > >    Merge remote-tracking branch
> > > 'remotes/kraxel/tags/ui-20210624-pull-request' into staging (2021-06-25
> > > 09:10:37 +0100)
> > >
> > > are available in the Git repository at:
> > >
> > >    ssh://git@src.openvz.org/~vsementsov/qemu.git tags/pull-jobs-2021-06-25
> >
> > This doesn't look like a public git url. I'm going to assume you mean
> >   https://src.openvz.org/scm/~vsementsov/qemu.git
>
> Yes, that's a right URL, sorry.
>
> > (the remote URL I have on file or you) since it has the right tag/commit.

This may be a factor of how you have set up your local copy of your
staging repo.  Easiest is to update your .git/config to set your
remote.NAME.url to be the readonly public name, and
remote.NAME.pushurl to be your personal one that you can push to.

This can also be done with repo URL shortening; for example, in my
~/.gitconfig, I have:

[url "https://repo.or.cz/";]
        insteadof = repo:
[url "ericb@repo.or.cz:/srv/git/"]
        pushinsteadof = repo:

and then in my qemu staging checkout, I have:

[remote "repo"]
        url = repo:qemu/ericb.git

where the repo: prefix takes care of letting me push pull requests
then producing a sane string in 'git request-pull' I use to announce
it. 'git remote show repo' lets me check that my nicknames properly
expanded into the actual URLs needed.

(Another benefit of having url different from pushurl is that you no
longer have to spend time authenticating when merely downloading from
the repo, although that matters more if you are using that repo to
synchronize changes across multiple machines, and less if you are
using it only for preparing pull requests for others to download)

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266