Re: Suspicious QOM types without instance/class size

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: Suspicious QOM types without instance/class size
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 10:20:14 +0100

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 22:55, Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@redhat.com> wrote:

> While trying to convert TypeInfo declarations to the new
> OBJECT_DECLARE* macros, I've stumbled on a few suspicious cases
> where instance_size or class_size is not set, despite having type
> checker macros that use a specific type.
>
> The ones with "WARNING" are abstract types (maybe not serious if
> subclasses set the appropriate sizes).  The ones with "ERROR"
> don't seem to be abstract types.
>
> WARNING: hw/arm/armsse.c:1159:1: class_size should be set to
> sizeof(ARMSSEClass)?

Seems like a bug, yes. Here the subclasses are simple leaf classes
which (correctly) don't set class_size, so the abstract parent
class must set class_size.

> ERROR: hw/core/register.c:328:1: instance_size should be set to
> sizeof(RegisterInfo)?

Bug (we haven't noticed because the only thing that creates them
is register_info() and it does object_initialize() into an existing
struct rather than trying to object_new() it).

thanks
-- PMM