Re: [BULK] Re: [ovirt-users] very very bad iscsi performance

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [BULK] Re: [ovirt-users] very very bad iscsi performance
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 14:09:39 +0100

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 07:14:53AM -0700, Philip Brown wrote:
> Thank you for the analysis. I have some further comments:
>
> First off, filebench pre-writes the files before doing oltp benchmarks, so I
> dont think the thin provisioning is at play here.
> I will double check this, but if you dont hear otherwise, please presume that
> is the case :)
>
> Secondly, I am surprised at  your recommendation to use virtio instead of
> virtio-scsi. since the writeup for virtio-scsi claims it has equivalent
> performance in general, and adds better scaling
> https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/storage/virtio-scsi.html
>
> As far as your suggestion for using multiple disks for scaling higher:
> We are using an SSD. Isnt the whole advantage of using SSD drives, that you
> can get the IOP/s performance of 10 drives, out of a single drive?
> We certainly get that using it natively, outside of a VM.
> SO it would be nice to see performance approaching that within an ovirt VM.

Hi,
At first glance it appears that the filebench OLTP workload does not use
O_DIRECT, so this isn't a measurement of pure disk I/O performance:
https://github.com/filebench/filebench/blob/master/workloads/oltp.f

If you suspect that disk performance is the issue please run a benchmark
that bypasses the page cache using O_DIRECT.

The fio setting is direct=1.

Here is an example fio job for 70% read/30% write 4KB random I/O:

  [global]
  filename=/path/to/device
  runtime=120
  ioengine=libaio
  direct=1
  ramp_time=10            # start measuring after warm-up time

  [read]
  readwrite=randrw
  rwmixread=70
  rwmixwrite=30