Re: Avoid copying unallocated clusters during full backup

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: Avoid copying unallocated clusters during full backup
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 20:34:43 -0400

On 4/17/20 6:57 PM, Leo Luan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 1:24 PM Eric Blake <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/17/20 3:11 PM, John Snow wrote:
>
>     >> +
>     >> +    if (s->sync_mode == MIRROR_SYNC_MODE_FULL &&
>     >> +       s->bcs->target->bs->drv != NULL &&
>     >> +       strncmp(s->bcs->target->bs->drv->format_name, "qcow2", 5)
>     == 0 &&
>     >> +       s->bcs->source->bs->backing_file[0] == '\0')
>     >
>     > This isn't going to suffice upstream; the backup job can't be
>     performing
>     > format introspection to determine behavior on the fly.
>
>     Agreed.  The idea is right (we NEED to make backup operations smarter
>     based on knowledge about both source and destination block status), but
>     the implementation is not (a check for strcncmp("qcow2") is not ideal).
>

> I see/agree that using strncmp("qcow2") is not general enough for the
> upstream.  Would changing it to bdrv_unallocated_blocks_are_zero() suffice?

I don't know, to be really honest with you. Vladimir reworked the backup
code recently and Virtuozzo et al have shown a very aggressive interest
in optimizing the backup loop. I haven't really worked on that code
since their rewrite.

Dropping unallocated regions from the backup manifest is one strategy,
but I think there will be cases where we won't be able to treat it like
"TOP", but may still have unallocated regions we don't want to copy (We
have a backing file which is itself unallocated.)

I'm interested in a more general purpose mechanism for efficient
copying. I think that instead of the backup job itself doing this in
backup.c by populating the copy manifest, that it's also appropriate to
try to copy every last block and have the backup loop implementation
decide it doesn't actually need to copy that block.

That way, the copy optimizations can be shared by any implementation
that needs to do efficient copying, and we can avoid special format and
graph-inspection code in the backup job main interface code.

To be clear, I see these as identical amounts of work:

- backup job runs a loop to inspect every cluster to see if it is
allocated or not, and modifies its cluster backup manifest accordingly

- backup job loops through the entire block and calls a smart_copy()
function that might degrade into a no-op if the right conditions are met
(source is unallocated, explicit zeroes are not needed on the destination)

Either way, you're looping and interrogating the disk, but in one case
the efficiencies go deeper than *just* the backup code.

I think Vladimir has put a lot of work into making the backup code
highly optimized, so I would consult with him to find out where the best
place to put new optimizations are, if any -- he'll know!

--js

>     >
>     > I think what you're really after is something like
>     > bdrv_unallocated_blocks_are_zero().
>
>     The fact that qemu-img already has a lot of optimizations makes me
>     wonder what we can salvage from there into reusable code that both
>     qemu-img and block backup can share, so that we're not reimplementing
>     block status handling in multiple places.
>

> A general fix reusing some existing code would be great.  When will it
> appear in the upstream?  We are hoping to avoid needing to use a private
> branch if possible.
>

>     > So the basic premise is that if you are copying a qcow2 file and the
>     > unallocated portions as defined by the qcow2 metadata are zero, it's
>     > safe to skip those, so you can treat it like SYNC_MODE_TOP.
>     >
>     > I think you *also* have to know if the *source* needs those regions
>     > explicitly zeroed, and it's not always safe to just skip them at the
>     > manifest level.
>     >
>     > I thought there was code that handled this to some extent already,
>     but I
>     > don't know. I think Vladimir has worked on it recently and can
>     probably
>     > let you know where I am mistaken :)
>
>     Yes, I'm hoping Vladimir (or his other buddies at Virtuozzo) can chime
>     in.  Meanwhile, I've working on v2 of some patches that will improve
>     qemu's ability to tell if a destination qcow2 file already reads as all
>     zeroes, and we already have bdrv_block_status() for telling which
>     portions of a source image already read as all zeroes (whether or
>     not it
>     is due to not being allocated, the goal here is that we should NOT have
>     to copy anything that reads as zero on the source over to the
>     destination if the destination already starts life as reading all zero).
>

> Can the eventual/optimal solution allow unallocated clusters to be
> skipped entirely in the backup loop and make the detection of allocated
> zeroes an option, not forcing the backup thread to loop through a
> potentially huge empty virtual disk?

I mean, using the TOP code is doing the same thing, really: it's looking
at allocation status and marking those blocks as "already copied", more
or less.