Re: [Qemu-block] backup bug or question

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] backup bug or question
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 18:49:28 +0200

Am 12.08.2019 um 18:09 hat Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy geschrieben:
> 12.08.2019 16:23, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > Am 09.08.2019 um 15:18 hat Vladimir Sementsov-Ogievskiy geschrieben:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> Hmm, hacking around backup I have a question:
> >>
> >> What prevents guest write request after job_start but before setting
> >> write notifier?
> >>
> >> code path:
> >>
> >> qmp_drive_backup or transaction with backup
> >>
> >>      job_start
> >>         aio_co_enter(job_co_entry) /* may only schedule execution, isn't
> >> it ? */

> >> job_co_entry
> >>      job_pause_point() /* it definitely yields, isn't it bad? */
> >>      job->driver->run() /* backup_run */
> >>
> >> ----
> >>
> >> backup_run()
> >>      bdrv_add_before_write_notifier()

> >> And what guarantees we give to the user? Is it guaranteed that write
> >> notifier is
> >> set when qmp command returns?
> >>
> >> And I guess, if we start several backups in a transaction it should be
> >> guaranteed
> >> that the set of backups is consistent and correspond to one point in
> >> time...
> >
> > Do the patches to switch backup to a filter node solve this
> > automatically because that node would be inserted in
> > backup_job_create()?
> >

> Hmm, great, looks like they should. At least it moves scope of the
> problem to do_drive_backup and do_blockdev_backup functions..
>
> Am I right that aio_context_acquire/aio_context_release guarantees no
> new request created during the section? Or should we add
> drained_begin/drained_end pair, or at least drain() at start of
> qmp_blockdev_backup and qmp_drive_backup?

Holding the AioContext lock should be enough for this.

But note that it doesn't make a difference if new requests are actually
incoming. The timing of the QMP command to start a backup job versus the
timing of guest requests is essentially random. QEMU doesn't know what
guest requests you mean to be included in the backup and which you don't
unless you stop sending new requests well ahead of time.

If you send a QMP request to start a backup, the backup will be
consistent for some arbitrary point in time between the time that you
sent the QMP request and the time that you received the reply to it.

Draining in the QMP command handler wouldn't change any of this, because
even the drain section starts at some arbitrary point in time.

> Assume scenario like the this,
>
> 1. fsfreeze
> 2. qmp backup
> 3. fsthaw
>
> to make sure that backup starting point is consistent. So in our qmp command
> we should:
> 1. complete all current requests to make drives corresponding to fsfreeze
> point
> 2. initialize write-notifiers or filter before any new guest request, i.e.
> before fsthaw,
> i.e. before qmp command return.

If I understand correctly, fsfreeze only returns success after it has
made sure that the guest has quiesced the device. So at any point
between receiving the successful return of the fsfreeze and calling
fsthaw, the state should be consistent.

> Transactions should be OK, as they use drained_begin/drained_end
> pairs, and additional aio_context_acquire/aio_context_release pairs.

Here, draining is actually important because you don't synchronise
against something external that you don't control anyway, but you just
make sure that you start the backup of all disks at the same point in
time (which is still an arbitrary point between the time that you send
the transaction QMP command and the time that you receive success), even
if no fsfreeze/fsthaw was used.

Kevin