Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] [RFC] nvme: how to support multiple namesp

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] [RFC] nvme: how to support multiple namespaces
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 09:24:30 +0200

Am 24.06.2019 um 22:46 hat Laszlo Ersek geschrieben:
> On 06/24/19 12:18, Kevin Wolf wrote:

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I've succesfully implemented this by introducing a new 'nvme-ns' device
> >> model. The nvme device creates a bus named from the device id ('id'
> >> parameter) and the nvme-ns devices are then registered on this.
> >>
> >> This results in an nvme device being creates like this (two namespaces
> >> example):
> >>
> >>   -drive file=nvme0n1.img,if=none,id=disk1
> >>   -drive file=nvme0n2.img,if=none,id=disk2
> >>   -device nvme,serial=deadbeef,id=nvme0
> >>   -device nvme-ns,drive=disk1,bus=nvme0,nsid=1
> >>   -device nvme-ns,drive=disk2,bus=nvme0,nsid=2
> >>
> >> How does that look as a way forward?
> >
> > This looks very similar to what other devices do (one bus controller
> > that has multiple devices on its but), so I like it.
>
> +1
>
> Also, I believe it's more modern nowadays to express the same example
> with "blockdev" syntax, rather than "drive". (Not that I could suggest
> the exact spelling for that :)) I don't expect the modern syntax to
> behave differently, I just guess it's better to stick with the new in
> examples / commit messages etc.

As this example uses only raw files, it's actually pretty simple:

-blockdev driver=file,filename=nvme0n1.img,node-name=disk1
-blockdev driver=file,filename=nvme0n2.img,node-name=disk2

The -device options stay the same, their drive=... value just refers to
the node-name now. (-drive IDs and node-names have a shared namespace,
so this is unambiguous.)

For the sake of completeness, if nvme0n1.img were actually a qcow2
image, you would add a second -blockdev for the format layer:

-blockdev driver=file,filename=nvme0n1.img,node-name=disk1-file
-blockdev driver=qcow2,file=disk1-file,node-name=disk1

Kevin