Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Configuring pflash devices for OVMF firmwa

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] Configuring pflash devices for OVMF firmware
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 09:40:21 +0100

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> On 30/01/19 15:13, Markus Armbruster wrote:
>>     -global driver=cfi.pflash01,property=secure,value=on
>>
>> Affects *all* such devices, but fortunately we have at most two, and the
>> one we don't want to affect happens to ignore the property value.
>
> Is this true?  I think both need secure=on, at least on x86.
>
>> For libvirt, plumbing the base address from the firmware's descriptor to
>> QEMU would be the lesser mess (for the firmware, providing the base
>> address there would be no mess at all).
>>
>> For human users, it's perhaps the greater mess.  They can continue to
>> use -drive if=pflash.
>>
>> Perhaps we *should* redo board configuration from the ground up.
>> Perhaps a board should be a composite object that exposes properties of
>> its own and its part, just like other composite devices, and so that
>> "create, set properties, realize" works.  That would extend our common
>> device configuration mechanism naturally to onboard devices.
>>
>> Of course, "we should" doesn't imply "I could".
>
> Maybe we should just add pflash block properties to the machine?  And
> then it can create the devices if the properties are set to a non-empty
> value.

What exactly do you have in mind?  Something like

    -machine q35,ovmf-code=OVMF-CODE-NODE,ovmf-data=OVMF-DATA-NODE

where OVMF-CODE-NODE and OVMF-DATA-NODE are block backend node names,
i.e.

    -blockdev
file,node-name=OVMF-CODE-NODE,read-only=on,filename=/usr/share/edk2/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd
    -blockdev file,node-name=OVMF-DATA-NODE,read-only=on,filename=...

perhaps?

[...]