Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2018 09:41:12 +0100

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 09:21:30AM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Laszlo Ersek (address@hidden) wrote:

> > > That sounds sensible, and further reinforces the idea that we
> > > need way more than a single string baked into the qcow2 file.
> > >

> > Sorry for arriving late (thanks Rich for the Fwd).
> >
> > The contents of the non-volatile UEFI variables should be considered
> > part of (permanent) guest state, such as disk contents. Therefore I'd
> > argue for bundling the varstore file with the disk image(s).
> >
> > In turn, the best way to ensure comaptibility between varstore and
> > firmware binary is to just bundle the firmware binary as well. It's
> > generally not large (x86) or if it is, it compresses extremely well
> > (aarch64). For extra politeness, image providers can bundle a text file
> > with their firmware build options (like a kernel config), possibly even
> > a JSON document conforming to the new firmware schema (qemu commit
> > 3a0adfc9bfcf), but that's not a hard requirement I guess.
> >
> > If such a VM is to be migrated between hosts, I'd expect the host admin
> > to take care of installing the fw binary on all eligible hosts.
>
> There's no way they can do that if they're just importing VMs from
> templates that include the image; who is going to keep track of which
> BIOSs are needed where?

It isn't that unusual a requirement. When Openstack deploys a VM, it
has the user provided image as a base file, and then creates  qcow2
overlay.  If the VM is cold migrated (ie not running) to another
host, OpenStack has to make sure the same base file gets copied across
to the new host so that the overlay still works. Copying the BIOS file
and vars state across at the same time is no more difficult than what
its already doing.

Regards,
Daniel