Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Daniel P . Berrangé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 15:37:37 +0100

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 03:31:35PM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > Not in this case because it'd still be a flat qcow2 file in a simple tar
> > archive.
> >
> > But you're right if we had a more complex format (like chunks stored in
> > a tar file).
>
> My only problem with using the tar like that is that all tools
> everywhere would need to be updated to be able to parse them.

I feel it is the opposite actually. By adding named blobs or custom
strings to qcow2, we've effectively invented a new type of archive
format, except apps cant use the normal unzip/tar tools/apis they
already have. Instead they need to use qemu-img to read,add,remove
blobs from qcow2. It is very compelling to use an existing archive
format like tar/zip because every language has APIs for dealing
with them and apps probably already do this for things like OVA.

Regards,
Daniel