Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?

From: Richard W.M. Jones
Subject: Re: [Qemu-block] [Qemu-devel] storing machine data in qcow images?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 15:51:38 +0100

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:14:11AM -0300, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 03:03:16PM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Richard W.M. Jones (address@hidden) wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a great deal of experience with the OVF "standard".
> > > TL;DR: DO NOT USE IT.
> >
> > In addition to the detail below, from reading DMTF's OVF spec (DSP0243 v
> > 2.1.1) I see absolutely nothing specifying hardware type.
> > Sure it can specify size of storage, number of ether cards, MAC
> > addresses for them etc - but I don't see any where specify the type of
> > emualted system.
>
> Maybe the VirtualHardwareSection/System/vssd:VirtualSystemType
> element could be used for that.  (DSP0243 v2.1.1, line 650).
>
> But based on Richard's feedback, I think we shouldn't even try to
> use it.

Yes, save yourself time and worry by avoiding OVF altogether.

Note that in any case you need something quite different from any
existing metadata format.  Most guests will support a variety of
driver models (eg. pc or q35, sata or virtio-blk or virtio-scsi, ...).

You need to express what device drivers are installed in the guest,
(separately for boot and running) and then the management layer needs
to match the devices the hypervisor can emulate with the required
devices, select the best performing ones in each class, and present
those to the guest.

As far as I know, there is no existing metadata format which expresses
this.

Rich.