Re: question about qemu user static

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: question about qemu user static
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 15:59:37 +0000

‪On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 15:28, ‫الاحترافية Æ‬‎ <po99h6@gmail.com> wrote:‬
> why is qemu-x86_64 user emulation is 64bit only

Because the user-emulator binaries are specifically
"implement this kernel ABI", which includes not just
the general CPU architecture but also whether it is 64
bit or 32 bit. You can see this also on other architectures
like qemu-arm and qemu-aarch64. It's also why there are
lots of mips user-mode emulators: qemu-mips, qemu-mipsel,
qemu-mipsn32, qemu-mipsn32el, qemu-mips64, etc, etc:
these all represent different and incompatible ABIs.

> like if I wanted to install wine and wine has 32bit libraries
> or if I want to run a program that has 32bit libraries

If you want to run a guest program built for the 32-bit
x86 ABI, use qemu-i386.

thanks
-- PMM