QEMU aarch64 system registers issue

From: Matic Kres
Subject: QEMU aarch64 system registers issue
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 11:11:25 +0200

Hi,

I have found that when I obtain registers via GDB, some register names have the same name.
In some cases it seems that registers are duplicated and in other case, name of the registers is incomplete.
For example from reading target description via GDB ("$qXfer:features:read:target.xml:0,1000#0c"):
I get 6 registers with name " DBGBVR " altho ARM naming convention for this register is specified as DBGBVR<n>_EL1:
https://developer.arm.com/docs/ddi0595/e/aarch64-system-registers/dbgbvrn_el1
I am not able to correctly identify which register reported by GDB is which. I have also noticed that in GDB documentation it says that name of the register must be unique, which is not in this case.
image.png
This are qemu switches that I have used:
qemu-system-aarch64.exe -gdb tcp::1234 -kernel bootstrap.elf -serial stdio -M virt,virtualization=true -cpu cortex-a57 -m 1024 -qmp tcp::55555,server,nowait

Duplicated registers are also printed when I executed GDB "info all-registers" command(output of that is in infoReg.txt in attachment)

In attachment you can also find all target description .xml files.

Best regards,

--

Matic Kres,

Software Engineer