Custom ARM Board: Setting BE32 endianness

From: Tanay Gupta
Subject: Custom ARM Board: Setting BE32 endianness
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 12:36:58 +0530

Hi all!

I'm trying to write my own board, and I'm not quite sure how to set the endianness to BE32.

I am loading binaries to memory using load_image_targphys_as.

I have tried:
- passing -cpu arm1136,cfgend=yes
- using the setend be instruction
- using mrc/mcr to change CP15

In all the above cases, I check whether the endianness has changed in these ways:

- xp /10i 0x40000000 in qemu monitor; which prints the LE interpretation of the code no matter what I do
- running the binary; which always ends in an ABORT32

The binary which I'm loading works on actual hardware, and I'm trying to emulate it using qemu.

I don't have the elf, so I can't use the -kernel option.

Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tanay