Re: [Qemu-arm] [Question] Memory hotplug clarification for Qemu ARM/virt

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [Question] Memory hotplug clarification for Qemu ARM/virt
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 22:26:12 +0200

On 05/08/19 14:50, Robin Murphy wrote:
> [...]
>> changes
>> into UEFI we need to know how exactly Linux expects/handles all the
>> hotpluggable memory scenarios. Please find the discussion here[2].
>>
>> For ease, I am just copying the relevant comment from Laszlo below,
>>
>> /******
>> "Given patches #7 and #8, as I understand them, the firmware cannot
>> distinguish
>>   hotpluggable & present, from hotpluggable & absent. The firmware can
>> only
>>   skip both hotpluggable cases. That's fine in that the firmware will
>> hog neither
>>   type -- but is that OK for the OS as well, for both ACPI boot and DT
>> boot?
>>
>> Consider in particular the "hotpluggable & present, ACPI boot" case.
>> Assuming
>> we modify the firmware to skip "hotpluggable" altogether, the UEFI memmap
>> will not include the range despite it being present at boot.
>> Presumably, ACPI
>> will refer to the range somehow, however. Will that not confuse the OS?
>>
>> When Igor raised this earlier, I suggested that
>> hotpluggable-and-present should
>> be added by the firmware, but also allocated immediately, as
>> EfiBootServicesData
>> type memory. This will prevent other drivers in the firmware from
>> allocating AcpiNVS
>> or Reserved chunks from the same memory range, the UEFI memmap will
>> contain
>> the range as EfiBootServicesData, and then the OS can release that
>> allocation in
>> one go early during boot.
>>
>> But this really has to be clarified from the Linux kernel's
>> expectations. Please
>> formalize all of the following cases:
>>
>> OS boot (DT/ACPI)  hotpluggable & ...  GetMemoryMap() should report
>> as  DT/ACPI should report as
>> -----------------  ------------------
>> -------------------------------  ------------------------
>> DT                 present             ?                                ?
>> DT                 absent              ?                                ?
>> ACPI               present             ?                                ?
>> ACPI               absent              ?                                ?
>>
>> Again, this table is dictated by Linux."
>>
>> ******/
>>
>> Could you please take a look at this and let us know what is expected
>> here from
>> a Linux kernel view point.
>
> For arm64, so far we've not even been considering DT-based hotplug - as
> far as I'm aware there would still be a big open question there around
> notification mechanisms and how to describe them. The DT stuff so far
> has come from the PowerPC folks, so it's probably worth seeing what
> their ideas are.
>
> ACPI-wise I've always assumed/hoped that hotplug-related things should
> be sufficiently well-specified in UEFI that "do whatever x86/IA-64 do"

As far as I can see in UEFI v2.8 -- and I had checked the spec before
dumping the table with the many question marks on Shameer --, all the
hot-plug language in the spec refers to USB and PCI hot-plug in the
preboot environment. There is not a single word about hot-plug at OS
runtime (regarding any device or component type), nor about memory
hot-plug (at any time).

Looking to x86 appears valid -- so what does the Linux kernel expect on
that architecture, in the "ACPI" rows of the table?

Shameer: if you (Huawei) are represented on the USWG / ASWG, I suggest
re-raising the question on those lists too; at least the "ACPI" rows of
the table.

Thanks!
Laszlo