Re: [Qemu-arm] [Qemu-devel] [RFC v3 05/15] hw/arm/virt: handle max_vm_ph

From: Auger Eric
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [Qemu-devel] [RFC v3 05/15] hw/arm/virt: handle max_vm_phys_shift conflicts on migration
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 14:50:28 +0200

Hi David,
On 07/04/2018 01:53 PM, David Hildenbrand wrote:
> On 03.07.2018 21:32, Auger Eric wrote:
>> Hi David,

>>> Just wondering, how exactly is the guest able to detect the 42b (e.g. vs
>>> 42b) configuration?
>>
>> the source IPA size is saved in the VMState. When restoring it on
>> post_load we check against the current IPA size (corresponding to the
>> max the destination KVM does support). The destination IPA size is
>> chosen before creating the destination VM. If the destination IPA size
>> is less than the source IPA size, we fail the migration.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>
> No, I asked if the *guest* is able to distinguish e.g. 43 from 44 or if
> the device memory setup is sufficient.
>
> Once you create the machine, you setup device memory (using the maxmem
> parameter).
>
> From that, you directly know how big the largest guest physical address
> will be (e.g. 2TB + (maxram_size - ram_size)). You can check that
> against max_vm_phys_shift and error out.

Ah OK I didn't catch your question. Yes indeed you method is simpler. At
the moment I don't think the guest can make any difference. But the
guest sees the CPU PARange which is fixed currently, as far as I
understand it; also the guest is GPA limited at compilation time with a
given CONFIG_ARM64_PA_BITS_=X config.

So we come back to Dave's remark, if we make CPU PARange match the
max_vm_phys_shift and make the former dynamic, then the guest can see it.

Thanks

Eric