Re: [Qemu-arm] [RFC v2 0/6] hw/arm: Add support for non-contiguous iova

From: Auger Eric
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [RFC v2 0/6] hw/arm: Add support for non-contiguous iova regions
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 16:22:03 +0200

Hi Shameer,

On 05/16/2018 05:20 PM, Shameer Kolothum wrote:
> When the kernel reports valid iova ranges as non-contiguous,
> memory should be allocated to Guest in such a way that
> reserved regions(holes) are not visible by Guest.
>
> This series retrieves the valid iova ranges based on the new
> proposed VFIO interface for kernel [1]. It then populates the
> first 1GB ram as a non-pluggable dimm and rest as a pc-dimm if
> the valid iova ranges are non-contiguous.

Some general comments:

- what are your plans with respect to VFIO device hot-plug handling?
IIUC, at the moment, any collision between reserved regions induces by
hot-plugged devices are not detected/handled. I understand mem hotplug
is not supported on aarch64. Would you simply reject the vfio device
hotplug.

- IIUC any reserved window colliding with [4000000, 1GB] cold-plug RAM
segment is show-stopper. How was this 1GB size chosen exactly?

- Currently you create a single PC-DIMM node whereas several ones may be
possible & necessary? Do you plan to support multiple PC-DIMMS node?

- I have started looking at RAM extension on machvirt. I think adding
support of PC-DIMMS through the qemu cmd line is something that we need
to work on, in paralell.

Thanks

Eric