Re: [Qemu-arm] [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] ARM virt: Support up to 256 PCIe b

From: Auger Eric
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/2] ARM virt: Support up to 256 PCIe buses
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 21:26:32 +0200

On 05/24/2018 07:20 PM, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 05/24/18 16:14, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

>>> Ah, OK, I didn't know that.

>>> The problem is we can have a combination of 32-bit UEFI firmware (which
>>> certainly lacks LPAE) and a 32-bit kernel which supports LPAE.
>>> Previously, you wouldn't specify highmem=off, and things would just work
>>> -- the firmware would simply ignore the >=4GB MMIO aperture, and use the
>>> 32-bit MMIO aperture only (and use the sole 32-bit ECAM). The kernel
>>> could then use both low and high MMIO apertures, however (I gather?).
>>>
>>> The difference with "high ECAM" is that it is *moved* (not *added*), so
>>> the 32-bit firmware is left with nothing for config space access. For
>>> booting the same combination as above, you are suddenly forced to add
>>> highmem=off, just to keep the ECAM low -- and that, while it keeps the
>>> firmware happy, prevents the LPAE-capable kernel from using the high
>>> MMIO aperture.
>>>
>>> So I think "highmem_ecam" should be computed like this:
>>>
>>>   highmem_ecam = highmem_ecam_machtype_default &&
>>>                  highmem &&
>>>                  (!firmware_loaded || aarch64);
>>>

>> Given that the firmware is tightly coupled to the platform, we may
>> decide not to care about ECAM for UEFI itself, and invent a secondary
>> config space access mechanism that does not consume such a huge amount
>> of address space. For instance, legacy PCI uses a pair of I/O ports
>> for this, one to set the address and one to perform the actual read or
>> write, and we could easily implement something similar (such an
>> interface is problematic in SMP context but we don't care about that
>> anyway)
>>
>> Just a thought - perhaps we don't care enough about 32-bit to go
>> through the trouble, but it would be nice if LPAE capable 32-bit
>> guests could make use of the expanded PCIe config space as well.
>
> Under the above proposal, they could, they'd just have to be launched
> without firmware:
>
>   highmem_ecam_machtype_default = true;
>   highmem = true;
>   firmware_loaded = false;
>   aarch64 = false;
>
>   highmem_ecam = true &&
>                  true &&
>                  (!false || false);

I think we mostly care about 64b guest experience improvement here. So
personally I am fine with your proposal.

Also there is this vmalloc shortage issue, hit with aarch32 guest only,
up to now (Which I reported at the end of the cover letter). This can
cause some existing guest configs (even without FW) to not boot with the
new high ECAM region whereas it booted before. I don't know if this is
acceptable.

Thanks

Eric