Re: [Qemu-arm] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/51] tcg queued patches

From: Emilio G. Cota
Subject: Re: [Qemu-arm] [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/51] tcg queued patches
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 15:53:03 -0400

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 13:38:07 +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
> Maybe we should allow machine models to specify:
>  * max_cpus (the most they can support; 1 if not set by board,
>    as in current code)
>  * min_cpus (the least they can support; 1 if not set by board)
>  * default_cpus (what you get if you don't ask for something else;
>    1 if not set by board)
>
> Then:
>  * these boards which always create a fixed number of CPUs
>    should set all three to the same thing
>  * boards which only create the CPUs requested by the user
>    can leave them unset (as today)
>  * the generic command line parsing code should stop with an
>    error message if the user sets max_cpus smaller than
>    the board's min_cpus setting or greater than the board's
>    max_cpus, or if they set -smp to less than the board's
>    min_cpus

Shouldn't we just print a warning (like we've been doing in some
boards, e.g. nuri) and upgrade smp_cpus/max_cpus to whatever value?
Changing this now could qualify as a regression.

Also, just noticed 4bd2f93 ("exynos4_boards: Silence lack
of -smp 2 warning for qtest", 2013-11-05); I don't really know how
"-smp 1" is built in qtest code, but doing as above breaks
check-qtest-aarch64.

                E.