pyatcron-devel-list

[Pyatcron-devel-list] Cron file definition

From: NICOLOVICI Xavier
Subject: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Cron file definition
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 10:10:36 +0100

Hi there,

Reading Julien's remarks, I've found that he suggests to insert comments in
crontab to identify pyatcron tasks. Why do we need comments? Defining a
strong naming scheme will do the trick. Some explanation.

Think about the foolwing crontab file:

* * * * * pyatcron-ftp-download ftp://somewhere.org/somefile.txt
/my/home/dir/.
* * * * * logrotate
* * * * * pyatcron-archiver /dev/fd0 /folder/to/backup

Do you think that we need any comments to identify pyatcron task and their
parameters from normal tasks?

Can we say that pyatcron tasks MUST be script starting with the "pyatcron-"
string? More on that, we could imagine that pyatcron tasks start with
"pyatcron-" and are run from /usr/share/pyatcron/ folder.

I think that with all this stuff, we don't have to rely on any comment. On
top of that, relying on comments makes our Crontab file non standard, and
this is something that we really must avoid (think of a user using sometimes
address@hidden and KCron, what will be the result? Does KCron keeps comments?)

Xavier