pyatcron-devel-list

[Pyatcron-devel-list] Cron backend: a correction

From: NICOLOVICI Xavier
Subject: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Cron backend: a correction
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:08:26 +0100

Some comments about the cron and at backend.

Julien said:
1. The thing is that, on my Fedora distribution at least, the user files in
/var/spool/cron/ are really owned by root and are not user-writeable
other than by using the "crontab" command. So I fail to understand how
you want to edit those files directly if they are not user-writeable.

2. OK, so the question is the same as for cron. How does a non-root user
add a job to his /var/spool/at ?

Xavier respond:
1. Julien, you're right, and I was totally wrong !!! User crontab files are
readable by the users, but the /var/spool/cron folder is only readable by
root. So go back to your first idea, creating temporary files and call the
contrab command.

2. Same as cron I think, using the "at" command (at,atq,atrm). Looking at
the "at" manpage, I've found a command named "batch" which plans a task when
the system load decrease until a fixed value. From a desktop user
perspective, I would ignore this option in our project, but this might be
usefull sometime, what do you think?

Bye,

Xavier

This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be
legally privileged. It is intended for the recipient only. If an addressing or
a transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by
replying to the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail.
We take reasonable precautions to ensure our e-mails are virus free. However,
we cannot accept responsibility for any virus transmitted by us and recommend
that you subject any incoming e-mail to your own virus checking procedures.