pyatcron-devel-list

Re: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Got root?

From: Julien Olivier
Subject: Re: [Pyatcron-devel-list] Got root?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:15:47 +0000

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 22:48, Brian Dee wrote:
> > There is a kcron application for KDE. It enables non-root users to write
> > crontab without needing the root password. So I guess it's possible. If
> > nobody knows how to do it, we could simply look at kcron's code. After
> > all, it's GPL :)
>
> Yup, I've been looking at their interface. What do you guys think
> about their "Add Task" window? See what I mean at
> http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdeadmin/kcron/new-task.html .

You weren't there when we talked about it but the idea was the
following:

When you click on "new task", you get an assistant (or druid/wizard if
you prefer). On the first page, it asks which "type" of task you want to
create (backup, download, bash command etc...), then the second page
asks you to specify specific properties for the choosen type of task.
Finally, the 3rd page asks you to setup the time you want it to run and
how often you want it to re-run.

That said, after having created the task, it should be possible to edit
it using the "properties" button, which could open a dialog similar to
the one in kcron. The only difference is that it would feature more or
less features, depending on the type of task.

I think a good idea would be to keep the idea of the 3 pages, but maybe
using 3 tabs and less explanation text in the "edit" dialog.

Maybe you could take a look at Evolution's calendar interface when you
add a new event.

> I've been working on something similar with Glade. I've almost got it
> done. I'll send it out when I'm done-ish. : )

Sure. So just send what you've done and I'll give you my comments.

--
Julien Olivier <address@hidden>