pspp-users

Re: problems importing csv files

From: Friedrich Beckmann
Subject: Re: problems importing csv files
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2014 10:16:48 +0100

Hi Ben,
> Thank you! If you deleted the variable description and removed the line
> breaks before importing into PSPP, which program did you use for it?
> How did you find the <CR><LF>? some look like line breaks in a text editor,
> but aren't. Also I don't know how to find the variable descriptions in the
> text file.
> Ben

I did that with emacs but you can use the following sequence of commands

a) Replace the <CR><LF> with a comma

perl -p -e 's/\r\n/,/' ver40-abc.20.csv  > a.csv

b) Only use the lines which start with „Teilnehmer“. That are the lines which
contain the variable data. You must delete the
variable descriptions because the descriptions have a different character
encoding.

grep '^Teilnehmer' a.csv > b.csv

Friedrich